Re: WOWG: Documents to review (all members - deadlines included)

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: WOWG: Documents to review (all members - deadlines included)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:37:26 +0100

> On 24 Dec 2002, Jim Hendler wrote:
> > WE ARE ASKING TO HAVE ALL REVIEWS DONE BY Jan 2!!
>
> Much too little review time, particularly for those of us blessed with
> seasonal holidays.
>
> > Apologies that this falls during the winter (summer in the Southern
> > Hemisphere) break, but it is necessary for us to meet our Last Call
> > calendar
>
> Conclusion the calendar is too aggressive.
>
> > Only those changed sections will be open for review/discussion at the
> > face to face
>
> Unacceptable.

I agree with Jeremy.

I am just now part way through a review of Guide, Features, and Reference.
I have found lots of errors, so many that I will vote for another round of
reviewing after the current round.  I feel that the F2F would be a very
good opportunity to seriously discuss the issues raised by these errors.
The editors would then go back and produce last-call candidate documents
that would then be reviewed before we go to last call.

Also, the RDF Core schedule for last call is 17 January.  As we depend on
RDF in quite a number of ways, I don't see how we can go to last call until
we have read the RDF Core last call documents to see how any last-minute
changes there affect OWL.

Finally, I just finished a review of many of the RDF Core documents and
have found a number of problems.  One of these problems is so serious that
I consider it fatal.  This problem affects OWL and, indeed, any formalism
built on RDF.  I do not see how we can go to last call until this problem
is fixed, which may only happen after RDF Core is in last call.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research
Lucent Technologies