From: Dan Connolly [mailto:connolly@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 3:56 PM
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Subject: GUIDE: 5.9 malformed restrictions: "don't do that"

"Issue 5.9 - malformed D+O restrictions

ACTION:  Write-up a few sentences for the guide (Dan Connolly)"
-- 7Nov
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0119.html

Basically I want to make sure the relevant
section of the guide...
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-owl-guide-20021104/#PropertyRestrictions

says to don't do this:

[[[
Recall that malformed OWL restrictions are things like

_:x owl:onProperty ex:pa .
_:x owl:onProperty ex:pb .
_:x owl:minCardinality xsd:integer"5" .
_:x owl:allValuesFrom ex:ca .
]]]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0329.html
<-
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html#I5.9-Malformed-DAML-OIL-
Restrictions

Starting from the example there...

--------
<owl:Class rdf:ID="Vintage">
  <rdfs:subClassOf>
    <owl:Restriction>
      <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasVintageYear"/>
      <owl:cardinality>1</owl:cardinality>
    </owl:Restriction>
  </rdfs:subClassOf>
</owl:Class>
--------

To make my point, we need to be talking
about more than one property... so...

  We can give cardinalities to multiple properties:

<owl:Class rdf:ID="Vintage">
  <rdfs:subClassOf>
    <owl:Restriction>
      <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasVintageYear"/>
      <owl:cardinality>1</owl:cardinality>
    </owl:Restriction>
  </rdfs:subClassOf>
  <rdfs:subClassOf>
    <owl:Restriction>
      <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasExpiryYear"/>
      <owl:cardinality>1</owl:cardinality>
    </owl:Restriction>
  </rdfs:subClassOf>
</owl:Class>

  This says that Vintage is a subclass of each of
  two restrictions: one that limits the cardinality
  of hasVintageYear to 1, and another that limits
  the cardinality of hasExpiryYear to 1.

then here's the point:

  Note that this cannot be abbreviated as:

<owl:Class rdf:ID="Vintage">
  <rdfs:subClassOf>
    <owl:Restriction>
      <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasVintageYear"/>
      <owl:cardinality>1</owl:cardinality>

      <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasExpiryYear"/>
      <owl:cardinality>1</owl:cardinality>
    </owl:Restriction>
  </rdfs:subClassOf>
</owl:Class>

  i.e. do not try to combine multiple restrictions.
  The semantics are almost certainly not what
  you meant.

Does that make sense, Mike and GUIDE folks?

p.s. nit: "Here we define Burgundy wine to be dry wines."
the word 'define' suggests that all dry wines
are Burgundy; not so, since you used subClassOf.
suggest: "Here we declare that all Burgundy wines
are dry."