Vote on hasValue (was Re: owl lite starting to look like more trouble than it's worth)

Enough!!!

CHAIR HAT ABSOLUTELY ON

Deb introduced this issue long ago.  We never put it to vote hoping
to get some consensus.  This consensus is clearly not there, we have
"cannot live with it" objections on both sides of the issue.

The W3C process document, in section 4.1.2 ([1] - publicly readable) states:

>Only after the Chair has determined that all available means of
>reaching consensus through technical discussion and compromise have
>failed, and that a vote is necessary to break a deadlock, should a
>group vote to resolve a substantive issue. In this case, the Chair
>must archive:
>
>     * the decision to conduct a vote (e.g., a simple majority vote)
>to resolve the issue;
>     * the outcome of the vote;
>     * any objections.
>
>A Working Group participant must be in good standing in order to
>participate in a vote to resolve a substantive issue.

This chair has determined that all means of reaching consensus
through technical discussion and compromise have failed.  Deb brought
up this issue when we first decided on Lite, she raised it as a
formal issue on Oct 31, 2002 - we've had plenty of time to consider a
middle road, none has emerged.

On today's telecon it is my intention to
  i. Ask Deb to state her proposed resolution
  ii. allow any respondent who wishes to make a comment as to their
opinion (without rebuttal or discussion, unless new points are raised
not yet seen in the mailing list)
  iii.  move to a vote

normally we would straw poll in there, but we've taken several straw
polls on the issue to date, and I see nothing to indicate any changes
in position.

(note: if anything new comes up, it is possible we would examine
that, rather than move to the vote - however, at this point this
seems unlikely)

  -Jim Hendler
   CoChair, Web Ontology Working Group

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process-20010719/groups.html#WGVotes