Re: SEM: semantics for current proposal (why R disjoint V?)

On April 8, Pat Hayes writes:
> [...]
> >>  reasoner.
> >>
> >>  I'm not very interested in such a thing.
> >>
> >>  Regular old horn-clause/datalog reasoners
> >>  (with some built-in predicates like
> >>  string:lessThan and such) seem
> >>  to get me what I need pretty well.
> >
> >Dan,
> >
> >It seems that, on the basis of a few toy examples where using ad-hoc
> >reasoning seems give the results you want/expect, you conclude that
> >this will be appropriate/adequate for all applications.  I don't find
> >this argument very convincing.
> >
> >Even w.r.t. ontology level reasoning I expect things to rapidly get
> >large and complex enough that humans wont be able to check all
> >inferences - we will just have to trust that the reasoner got it
> >right. Soundness is therefore essential,
>
> True, but
>
> >and completeness highly
> >desirable.
>
> That is much less clear. Can you spell out the actual argument for
> completeness here? I have argued very strongly in the past for
> completeness, but that was in a different context: Krep in AI, where
> completeness provides a methodological security against
> overconfidence in thinking that ones representation captures more
> content than it really does capture. I don't see that issue as being
> at all central in applied ontology work, particularly on the web.
>
> >For example, when multiple processes are interacting, some
> >action may be taken by one process on the basis of a non-inference by
> >another process
>
> That is a nonmonotonic process, which can lead to unsoundness even
> with a complete reasoner. So this seems irrelevant.
>
> >, so incompleteness can easily lead to "unsoundness".
> >
> >As far as the disjointness of object/data domains and properties is
> >concerned, there are also good pragmatic reasons for this, including
> >the ability to use hybrid designs for OWL reasoners, i.e., the ability
> >for an owl "object class" reasoner implementation to "bolt on" a type
> >checker for arbitrary type systems.
>
> But such reasoners could still be USED: the use of the more liberal
> syntax does not make such reasoners illegal, only possibly less
> universally effective. The real issue is whether the web content
> language needs to be protected against the risk that it might be able
> to express something that many reasoners could not fully utilize. I
> would suggest that as a very basic web-methodological point, we
> should NOT take such worries as being central concerns in the design
> of OWL. The whole web context means that we cannot forsee the kinds
> of inference engine that are going to be used, and we should not let
> the content language be limited by the needs of the engines that we
> happen to know and love at present. It may well be the case that
> particular areas of usage will discover, and utilize, combinations of
> features which allow for pragmatically useful reasoners that work in
> syntactic subclasses that cut across our current implementation

To reiterate, my suggestion is only that we design the language in
such a way that it is possible to design/implement effective decision
procedures. Of course the definition of "effective" could/will be
contentions. Allowing mixed domains will certainly make life more
difficult for most system implementors as their reasoners may need a
fairly detailed understanding of the characteristics of the domain in
question.

For example, it would be quite easy to assert that every element of
the domain of discourse is a value in some datatype. In this case a
reasoner may have to consider interactions between the cardinality of
the datatype and models of the abstract domain.

Ian