MINUTES: 11 April 2002 telecon, for review

Guus Schreiber <schreiber@swi.psy.uva.nl> writes:
> April 11, 2002


Log:    http://www.w3.org/2002/04/11-webont-irc

> Chair: Hendler/Schreiber

Chair:  Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
	(Guus was to have chaired, but arrived late. Dan took the
        chair in his absence.)

> Scribe: ...

Scribe: Nick Gibbins <nmg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>

> 1) Join call/attendance/admin (10 min)

See attendance list at end.

> ACTION (Mar 14) John Stanton: report back on different kinds of tests


> ACTION (Mar 21) FrankH: annotated version of lang proposal.


> ACTION (Mar 28) Guus: organize ftf telecon facilities both days
> 16.45-17.30 


> ACTION (Mar 28) DanC, Lynn Stein (prov.), Jos De Roo, to participate 
> in RDF core discussions on construct for closed lists


> Action (Mar 28) Updated decision-tree doc for ftf


> ACTION (Mar 28) Chairs to clarify OWL naming problem


> 2) Recap face-to-face (chairs, 45 min)

Recap of face-to-face by Jim Hendler for those that couldn't make it:

> Q&A session plus discussion about 
> - resolutions

List of resolutions to be posted to list by Jim when he recovers data
from his laptop. Until then, see:

RESOLUTION: The meaning of an OWL document is conveyed in the RDF graph
	    ==> ALL in favour, NO opposed
RESOLUTION: All RDF/XML documents that are equivalent under the RDF
	    Recommendation are equivalent OWL exchange documents
	    ==> 14 in favor -- 3 opposed
RESOLUTION: The exchange language for OWL is RDF/XML
	    ==> 16 in favour
RESOLUTION: We intend to produce non-normative presentation syntaxes
	    and their mapping to the exchange syntax
	    ==> 16 in favour -- 1 opposed
RESOLUTION: The preference of the WG is to produce at least one XML
	    and one frame presentation syntax
	    ==> 11 in favour -- 2 opposed

Dan Connolly raised the procedural point that resolutions with dissent
may need to be kept in the issues list.

Jim Hendler explained that dissenting WG members will be given the
opportunity to explain reasons for dissent before publication.

> - follow-up actions

ACTION (April 9): chairs
Send message to SWCG to the effect that, to achieve aims in charter,
need a dark (unasserted) triple mechanism in RDF.

ACTION (April 9): Mike Dean, Enrico Motta, Ziv Hellman, Raphael Volz,
		  Ian Horrocks and Frank van Harmelen
Following polls on separation of language features between
level 1 (OWL-lite) and level 2 (OWL-full), a group was constituted to
revisit the level 1/2 conformance issue:

> - issue list

List of potential new issues raised at face-to-face has been mailed out:

Issues from this list will move to the main issues list (maintained by
Mike Smith) as and when WG members write them up (in same format as
existing issues) and mail them to the list.

Discussion of non-normative presentation syntaxes and round-tripping:

> - WG schedule

ALL: WG schedule Guus Schreiber (Wed, Mar 27 2002)

Semantic Web Coordination Group needs to be consulted prior to
schedule revision; we need to be sure that the revised schedule is
realistic before this.

> 3) A.O.B. (5 min)

Deborah McGuinness repeated suggestion for an informal meeting at KR2002:

Regrets for Ian Horrocks, Deborah McGuinness for 18 April 2002 telecon.

> - April 18 scribe

No volunteers, TBD.

> - Telecon on April 25?! (KR conference)

Left unresolved.


N  1. *ALT James Barnette, Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA)
N  2. Jonathan Borden, Jonathan@openhealth.org (Invited Expert; intro)
N  3. *ALT Frederik Brysse, Ivis Group, Limited Frederik.Brysse@ivisgroup.com
Y  4. Stephen Buswell, Stilo Technology StephenB@stilo.com, sb@stilo.com
N  5. Jeremy Carroll, Hewlett Packard Company jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com,
Y  6. Dan Connolly, W3C Team contact connolly@w3.org
R  7. Jonathan Dale, Fujitsu Limited jdale@fla.fujitsu.com
Y  8. Jos De Roo, Agfa-Gevaert N. V. jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com
N  9. *ALT D.C. De Roure, University of Southampton dder@ecs.soton.ac.uk
N 10. Mike Dean mdean@bbn.com
N 11. Stefan Decker, Stanford stefan@db.stanford.edu
Y 12. Larry Eshelman, Philips Electronics N.V. larry.eshelman@philips.com
Y 13. Dieter Fensel, Ibrow, dieter@cs.vu.nl
Y 14. Tim Finin, University of Maryland MIND Laboratory finin@cs.umbc.edu
Y 15. Nicholas Gibbins, University of Southampton nmg@ecs.soton.ac.uk
N 16. Pat Hayes, phayes@ai.uwf.edu
Y 17. Jeff Heflin heflin@cse.lehigh.edu
N 18. Ziv Hellman, <ziv@unicorn.com>, Unicorn Solutions Inc.
Y 19. James Hendler, Maryland Information and Network Dynamics Lab at
      the University of Maryland hendler@cs.umd.edu 
N 20. Bernard Horan bernard.horan@sun.com Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Y 21. Ian Horrocks, Network Inference horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk
N 22. Francesco Iannuzzelli, <francesco.iannuzzelli@ivisgroup.com>,
      Ivis Group Limited 
N 23. *ALT Mario Jeckle, Daimler Chrysler Research and Technology
N 24. Ruediger Klein, Daimler Chrysler Research and Technology
N 25. *ALT Natasha Kravtsova, Philips Electronic
      N.V. natasha.kravtsova@philips.com 
N 26. Ora Lassila, Nokia daml@lassila.org, ora.lassila@nokia.com
N 27. *ALT Alexander Maedche, <maedche@fzi.de>, Forschungszentrum Informatik
Y 28. Deborah McGuinness, Stanford dlm@ksl.stanford.edu
R 29. Libby Miller, University of Bristol libby.miller@bristol.ac.uk
N 30. Enrico Motta, Ibrow e.motta@open.ac.uk
Y 31. Leo Obrst, MITRE lobrst@mitre.org
N 32. Laurent Olivry EDF (Electricite De France) Laurent.Olivry@edf.fr
N 33. Peter Patel-Schneider, Lucent Technologies pfps@research.bell-labs.com
N 34. Martin Pike, Stilo Technology mp@stilo.com
N 35. Marwan Sabbouh, MITRE ms@mitre.org
Y 36. Guus Schreiber, Ibrow schreiber@swi.psy.uva.nl
N 37. Shimizu Noboru, Interoperability Technology Association for
      Information Processing, Japan (INTAP) 
N 38. *ALT Michael Sintek, German Research Center for Artificial
      Intelligence (DFKI) Gmbh sintek@dfki.uni-kl.de 
Y 39. Michael Smith, Electronic Data System (EDS) michael.smith@eds.com
N 40. Ned Smith, Intel ned.smith@intel.com
N 41. John Stanton, Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA)
      StantonJ@ncr.disa.mil stantonj@ncr.disa.mil 
Y 42. Lynn Andrea Stein, lynn.stein@olin.edu
N 43. *ALT Patrick Stickler, Nokia patrick.stickler@nokia.com
N 44. Said Tabet, Nisus, Inc.
N 45. Herman ter Horst, Philips Electronic N.V. herman.ter.horst@philips.com
Y 46. Lynne R. Thompson, Unisys Corporation lynne.thompson@unisys.com
R 47. David Trastour, Hewlett Packard Company
      david_trastour@hplb.hpl.hp.com, david_trastour@hp.com 
R 48. Frank van Harmelen, Ibrow Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl
N 49. Raphael Volz, <volz@fzi.de>, Forschungszentrum Informatik (FZI)
Y 50. Evan Wallace, ewallace@cme.nist.gov, National Institute of
      Standards and technology 
Y 51. Christopher Welty, <welty@us.ibm.com>, IBM Corporation

Y     Massimo Marchiori <massimo@w3.org>, W3C (tam contact for f2f)
Y     *ALT Gerd Wagner, Nisus

Nick Gibbins                                            nmg@ecs.soton.ac.uk
IAM (Intelligence, Agents, Multimedia)             tel: +44 (0) 23 80592831
Electronics and Computer Science                   fax: +44 (0) 23 80592865
University of Southampton

Received on Friday, 12 April 2002 10:29:05 UTC