Re: WebOnt Plans (Call for feedback)

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:

> From: Jim Hendler <james.hendler@verizon.net>
> Subject: WebOnt Plans (Call for feedback)
> nDate: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:50:56 -0500
>
> [...]
>
> > ** Dec 13 will be aimed at looking at some of the other aspects of
> > the document and language - please send me suggestions of topics you
> > feel would be important.
>
> There are two topics that I think we should discuss:
>
> 1/ Which documents will the working group be producing.  I know that at
> this stage we don't know the complete answer to this, but it would be nice
> to know if we are going to produce an (official) document concerning the
> use cases that we are generating and if we are going to be producing an
> (official) requirements document.

In case folks are waiting for the chair/staff contact
to answer this question, please don't; please give
your own opinions.

We're here to faciliate the collaboration, but aside from
the expectations agreed with the rest of W3C thru
our charter, the way this group goes about its
work is up to the members of this group.

As for myself, I would like for us to publish
some sort of "hello world" document. Not many of
the WG members were involved in the drafting of the
charter, and I find that requirements documents
(or scenarios or whatever... something in advance
of a technical specification) is a useful excercise
for the group to (a) recapitulate their understanding
of what it is they've been asked to do, and (b) invite
the larger community to participate in the development.

For example, I've heard it suggested that the work
of this group should be very relevant to folks
like yahoo, google, and such, but the "ontology"
name didn't spark their interest; a scenario
in our "hello world" document that shows how
our work would be useful to yahoo/google might
get them interested in reviewing/using our
work, if not participating in it.

Same goes for library-of-congress sorts of folks,
folks involved in digital asset management, and so on.

So I hope folks will contribute requirements/use cases/
case studies/stories/whatever; that somebody volunteers
to compile that stuff; that all of us review the compilation;
and that we release it to the world via http://www.w3.org/TR/
before the end of the year.

> 2/ What are the high-level requirements for the final ontology language.

[more on that in a separate message.]

> I would like to have serious thought and discussion on both of these topics
> from the working group before the face-to-face, so that there can be useful
> discussion on them at the face-to-face.  This seems to indicate that
> December 13 may be too late to first bring them up at a teleconference.

Quite.