Re: Woods paper (was Re: LEAD)

From: "Lynn Andrea Stein" <lynn.stein@olin.edu>
Subject: Woods paper (was Re: LEAD)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:44:47 -0500

> > Re: LEAD: making an ontology about the ontology group...
> >
> > From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider (pfps@research.bell-labs.com)
> > Date: Mon, Nov 12 2001
>
> > By the way, Bill Wood's paper ``What's in a name?'' makes a lot of good
> > points about this and related issues.
>
> An excellent pointer for anyone interested in ontology, and an
> absolutely classic paper, but I believe it's ``What's in a LINK'', not a name.
>
> >From http://research.sun.com/people/wwoods/
>
> "What's in a Link: Foundations for Semantic Networks". In D. Bobrow and
> A. Collins
> (eds.), Representation and Understanding: Studies in Cognitive Science,
> New York:
> Academic Press, 1975. Reprinted in R. Brachman and H. Levesque (eds.), Readings
> in Knowledge Representation, San Mateo: Morgan Kaufmann, 1985. Also
> reprinted in
> Allan Collins and Edward E. Smith (eds.), Readings in Cognitive Science,
> San Mateo:
> Morgan Kaufmann, 1988.
>
>  -- Lynn

Lynn is correct.  I made a confusion between Bill's paper and one by Ron
Brachman, and came up with the wrong name for both.

Ron's paper

@Article{brachman:concept,
 title=		"What's in a Concept:
		 Structural Foundations for Semantics Networks",
 author=	"Brachman, Ronald J.",
 journal=	"International Journal of Man-Machine Studies",
 volume=	9,
 number=	2,
 month=		mar,
 year=		1977,
 pages=		"127--152"}

also has some very good ideas on (not) confusing representational
constructs and non-representational tags.