From: chris nuernberger [mailto:cnuernber@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 1:14 PM
To: David Junger
Cc: VBWG Public (www-voice@w3.org)
Subject: Re: revisiting preemption

"The most intuitive (and shortest to explain) is that optimally-enabled transitions are taken in transition order unless their source has been exited by a previous transition, in which case their are disabled during the exit step. But that's not UML-compatible."

This would also be the most efficient to implement.  Taking targetless transitions into account means you have to consider all atoms regardless of if they would be exited.  I would rather for a possibly very efficient implementation than a UML compatible implementation although of course I can offer that as an option in my library.

I don't understand the push for UML compatibility and it isn't a requirement for our implementation.

Are there any existing implementations of SCXML which require UML compatibility?

Honestly I am happy whichever way this goes; although of course I tend towards a specification which enables optimal implementation efficiency so the widest range of applications can benefit from this system.

Chris