Re: Regarding xml:lang in prompts

Yes.  This has been clarified extensively in our work on the new SSML
1.1.

The key point to remember is that "xml:lang describes the language of
the text content", just as it does in XHTML and other XML-based
languages.  This means that the catch content in your example is
Chinese regardless of when/where in the app it is spoken.

The confusion arises because in SSML 1.0 (which was incorporated into
VXML) xml:lang was also used to determine which voice to use to speak
the content, but in SSML 1.1 we have more clearly separated
indication of language content and indication of voice to use to speak.

Dan Burnett
Director of Speech Technologies, Voxeo
(also Co-editor, SSML 1.0 and 1.1)