From: Troy Cauble [mailto:troy@bell-labs.com]
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 6:52 PM
To: Barnett, James; www-voice@w3.org
Subject: Re: [scxml] newbie questions on Executable Content

Thanks Jim,

Just to clarify uses of "any language".  Is this valid?

   <transition event="timeout" cond="@isaMulligan@" target="S3">
     <myextension>
       DO_XYZ,
       NVP_LIST=
         "MSG_ENCODING_TYPE:foo", "bar",
         "SV:default", "SET:0::this:RecoverCount",
         "SV:default", "EXP:((@Vindex@-1)T2)+1::this:LineNumber",
         "RULE:foo", "ARequest.foo.template",
         "CMD:foo", "nil",
         NULL
     </myextension>
     <log expr="foo bar"/>
   </transition>

Or should it be <myextension:block> ... </myextension:block>
(with no xmlns:myextension= explaining the contents) ??

What about the cond= value above?  Should it be
   <transition cond="<myextension>@isaMulligan@</myextension>">  ??
   <transition cond="myextension:@isaMulligan@">  ??

What if the other-language-piece I want to use as the cond=
value has double-quotes or colons?

Even if these approaches let me leave portions of the original
language intact, it wouldn't be compliant unless I also support
ECMAScript.  But once someone extends the language and looses
portability, is it any worse to not support ECMAScript?
Should such an implementation have to bear the shame of being
"non-compliant"?

Also, when I asked about example F.2 below, I meant stuff like
       <transition cond="${door_closed}" target next="cooking"/>
Is "${}" part of the "base set that is defined in the body
of the spec"?  It's not ECMAScript, is it?

Thanks again!
-troy

Barnett, James wrote:
> Troy,
>   The definition of executable content is intended to allow any
> language, whether XML-based or not.  The important caveat is that EC
> should execute quickly since the state machine blocks during the
> execution of such content.
>
> The SCXML spec specifies a base set of executable content that all
> etc., but implementations are allowed to provide extensions.  Of
course,
> application authors who restrict themselves to the base set are
> guaranteed portability across SCXML implementations, while those who
use
> extensions are not.
>
> The examples in Section F should all be from the base set that is
> defined in the body of the spec.  (That base set will be restricted
> somewhat in the next draft, however.)  The EC in example C is
ECMAScript
> and is just there as an example.
>
> The examples with <ccxml:accept> are intended to show another way of
> extending the language, since we show how they can be translated into
> core SCXML <send>. (They are thus syntactic sugar rather than an
actual
> extension of functionality.)
>
> The cond value of an <if> (and of the 'cond' attributes of events)
must