Re: VoiceXML 2.1: mixing 2.0 and 2.1 functionality

* Matt Oshry wrote:
>The Working Group considered a number of scenarios in which VoiceXML 2.0
>and VoiceXML 2.1 functionality might be mixed and produce undesirable
>results. One such scenario involves an application root document with
>its version set to '2.1' and a leaf document with its version set to
>'2.0'. The application root document contains an event handler that
>contains a tag specific to VoiceXML 2.1 (e.g. <foreach>). Since event
>handlers are executed as-if-by-copy, the interpreter must decide how to
>handle the <foreach> tag should the event get thrown while executing the
>2.0 document. One interpreter might choose to throw
>'error.unsupported.element.foreach'; another might choose to execute the
><foreach>; yet another might choose to throw 'error.badfetch' when
>resolving the 2.1 application root associated with the 2.0 leaf.
>
>To reach consensus, the group concluded that this decision should be
>driven by the compatibility requirements of the platform vendor and
>should not be mandated by the specification. In general, the group
>wishes to discourage the mixing of document versions within an
>application; hence, the statement "a VoiceXML application should not mix
>documents of both types."

As it stands, I don't think the above is clear from the document but I
think this is valuable information that should be added to the document
so concerned authors have a better understanding how VoiceXML 2.1 and
VoiceXML 2.0 are compatible to each other and what should be avoided in
particular. I think "a VoiceXML application should not mix documents of
both types" is quite clear, but the text I was concerned about "The
handling of a single application that mixes VoiceXML 2.0 and VoiceXML
2.1 functionality is platform-specific" is not, but if information such
as you cite it above is added to the document, I think I can accept the
resolution.