Re: <data> tag under <menu>?

Raxit,

I'm not against using data in a menu, I just think the spec needs
clarification on this.  Right now it clearly wants data and var to
have the same scoping rules, and possibly either the dtd or schema
needs to be updated to reflect this.  While I personally would like to
see the menu tag just disappear, since all the functionality is
already handled by regular form/fields, if data should be available
inside menu than we need an argument for it.

Menu is really used by folks who are writing a "vxml" application, one
driven by the vxml client browser.  With products like Audium and
Nuance OSDM's taking the industry by storm, vxml is quickly becoming
just the defacto protocol to drive IVR.  As such, anything that
simplifies this protocol is a good thing, as long as functionality
isn't sacrified.  The vendors who create these vxml generation tools
would be helped by reducing the complexity of the "connectors" for
each individual platform.  (I'm guessing, but I would bet that Audium
spends as much time making their software compatible for different
implementations of vxml, as they do just making it just comply to the
spec. Either that or they charge for it.)

By reducing the scope and complexity of vxml (by removing redundant
functionality) will make vendor implementation easier, which should
cause greater compliance to the actual spec. That would make the code
more portable, and make it easier for audium, nuance, or anyone to
code connectors to individual implementations of vxml.

Does menu need to use data?  Sure, I can see it.  But do we really
even need menu?  Not so sure.

-Shane Smith-