Re: Critical missing feature in SSML specification

that is my point.  There is no equiv to stop in html.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shires, Glen" <glen.shires@intel.com>
To: "David Poehlman" <poehlman1@comcast.net>; "Richard Schwerdtfeger"
<schwer@us.ibm.com>; <www-voice@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 2:30 PM
Subject: RE: Critical missing feature in SSML specification

David,
If I understand your view on this, the "voice browser in this instance"
would use something like DOM to manipulate the SSML. If so, I would think it
would be difficult to know precisely where in the SSML document to insert
the <STOP> tag because one would need to know exactly which point in the
SSML document the renderer currently processing. While <MARK> can coarsely
help with this, I envision numerous complexities in terms of
pipeline-buffers, latency and race conditions. I would think implementation
would be vastly easier and more robust if a "stop" command (e.g. from a
scripted object) was simply sent to the TTS-engine/renderer (as opposed to
attempting to dynamically insert a markup tag at the proper position in the
markup).

Thanks,
Glen Shires
Intel Corporation