Re: Modern button for good result of validation HTML5

Phaewryn O'Guin, wrote:
> I think the reason why people have always used them have been either to boost their own egos ("I'm a good website designer and I can prove it because LOOK - I HAS A BUTTON!") or as a requirement of a cheap website design course they are taking ("My website design course requires that my site I built as part of my course validates and my instructor wants the button on my site to save them from actually having to check my code because they are a lazy overpaid POS.").
I respectfully disagree.  When "Valid HTML 4.01 Strict" buttons were in
vogue, I would routinely add them at the bottom of any page I authored
or modified.  The button was linked to the validator using <A
href="http://validator.w3.org/check/referer"> and the idea was to
/encourage/ visitors to click on the button if the page rendered badly
(or even wrongly) in their browser.  If the page was valid HTML, then
the user should look to his/her environment to see what might be the
cause of the problem; if the page was /invalid/, then there was always a
link to "mailto:webmaster@..." to allow the problem to be reported.

> no-one at w3C gives any shits if the buttons exist at all, much less if they are updated.
Hardly surprising when you read the disclaimer :

> The Nu Html Checker (v.Nu) is an ongoing experiment in better HTML
> checking, and its behavior remains subject to change. In particular,
> because new types of error checks continue to be actively added to the
> checker, there is no guarantee provided that if the checker reports
> zero errors for a particular document at one point in time, it will
> report zero errors for that same document at some later point in time.
>
> The Nu Html Checker should not be used as a means to attempt to
> unilaterally enforce pass/fail conformance of documents to any
> particular specifications; it is intended solely as a checker, not as
> a pass/fail certification mechanism.

Philip Taylor