Re: Modern button for good result of validation HTML5

On 1/1/19, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Phaewryn O'Guin, wrote:
>> I think the reason why people have always used them have been either to
>> boost their own egos ("I'm a good website designer and I can prove it
>> because LOOK - I HAS A BUTTON!") or as a requirement of a cheap website
>> design course they are taking ("My website design course requires that my
>> site I built as part of my course validates and my instructor wants the
>> button on my site to save them from actually having to check my code
>> because they are a lazy overpaid POS.").
>
> I respectfully disagree.  When "Valid HTML 4.01 Strict" buttons were in
> vogue, I would routinely add them at the bottom of any page I authored
> or modified.  The button was linked to the validator using <A
> href="http://validator.w3.org/check/referer"> and the idea was to
> /encourage/ visitors to click on the button if the page rendered badly
> (or even wrongly) in their browser.  If the page was valid HTML, then
> the user should look to his/her environment to see what might be the
> cause of the problem; if the page was /invalid/, then there was always a
> link to "mailto:webmaster@..." to allow the problem to be reported.

For some reason, I'm remembering the first ones not automatically
validating a very long time ago. It was one of those funny, ironic
kind of deals that we were able to each fix ourselves depending on
what we were doing. Speaking of something else that has come up on
this list a time or many, there do still remain "outside scripts" out
there that apparently cause headaches to this very day. :))

Glass Half Full: Those buttons do their share of 24/7/365 work as a
W3C web standards publicity (word of mouth) tool, for lack of a better
phrase for that just this second. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey