Re: [www-validator] <none>

On 22 Aug 2017, at 17:03, Scott A Tovey wrote:

> My expectation of <?PHP tag handling is contrary to your assumption.

I make no assumptions. I’m describing what the validator is designed
to do.

> The validator should be able to recognize the start and end tags for
> the
> sole purpose of disregarding and ignoring everything inside. This
> would
> eliminate the necessity of throwing an error because it is not
> validating
> code.

That would be largely pointless. Take, for example, this contrived but
trivial example:

     <?php
         if (someCondition() {
     ?>
     <?php
        } else {
     ?>
     <?php
        }
     ?>

If the validator were to ignore the PHP, then it would see two start
tags with one end tag. This would cause a cascade of errors throughout
the rest of the document.

Any ignored PHP would render the rest of the validation process
untrustworthy.

> This may also be necessary for the <script tag as well.

The validator parses the <script> element according to the rules of HTML
(or XHTML).

> One last thing. I had better results by uploading the files, that
> would seem
> to point to an issue when the page is being dynamically generated with
> as
> all of my pages on the site have the navigation bar and some content
> generated and applied with javascripts.scripts unless it is a php
> script.

Yes, that does suggest you are generating HTML with errors in it. You
should fix them.