Re: Local validator does not work - missing perl modules

On Tuesday 03 February 2009, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 3-Feb-09, at 9:24 AM, PandoO.org wrote:
> > The problem is that Encode::HanExtra, Encode::JIS2K and SGML-
> > ParserOpenSP modules are not compatible with 5.10 version of
> > ActivePerl.
>
> We could do without requiring Encode::HanExtra, Encode::JIS2K since
> they only provide "extra" character encoding support.

FWIW, this is what I've done in the Fedora w3c-markup-validator packages for a
long time, by patching.

Making Encode::JIS2K optional in perl code would be trivial, I'll look into
doing this in a jiffy.

Encode::HanExtra is more difficult because gb18030 (which comes from
Encode::HanExtra) is sprinkled in a few places around the validator's code,
some of which is actually static stuff to which perl code has no effect to
(particularly the charset dropdown in htdocs/charset-select.html).

By the way, I just noticed this:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Encode-HanExtra/lib/Encode/HanExtra.pm
"If you are using Perl 5.8 or later, Encode::CN and Encode::TW will
automatically load the extra encodings for you, so there's no need to
explicitly write use Encode::HanExtra if you are using one of them already."

Validator requires perl >= 5.8 but at least for me (with perl 5.10.0), neither
Encode::CN nor Encode::TW automagically install support for gb18030 even if
Encode::HanExtra is installed.