Re: Add Subject Here - Validation icons

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 06:45:18 +0100
Rui del-Negro increased personal carbon footprint by exciting electrons
the world over with these memorable words:

> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 06:27:00 +0100, Michael Adams
> <linux_mike@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 04:38:43 +0200 Srdanov Ivan wrote:
> >
> >> I am building a website, and my HTML validates properly.
> >> But I'm interested can I change the valid img into grayscale [...]
> >
> > Why would visitors to your site want to validate it instead of read
> > it?[...]
> >
> > Yes you are proud of your achievement, but visitors are there for
> > the content, not to validate your page. And if they do wish to
> > validate your page they can do so without the silly icon. Really
> > isn't the validator a developer tool, not a web surfers tool?
>
> I think you are missing the point of displaying a valid / validation
> icon  on a website. It's not about showing that you know how to create
> valid  code, and it's not about letting people validate your pages.
>
> It's about dedicating a small area of your page to promoting the idea
> of  web standards and interoperability. And if it makes even just a
> few people  aware of the fact that there _are_ standards, and that
> following them can  make websites look and fuction almost identically
> in different browsers,  then those people are less likely to blame
> websites for browser bugs or  blame browsers for poorly coded
> websites.
>
> It's an educational or even political thing; it's not a technical
> thing.

Whereas i use it as a technical thing, mainly based on the tick on the
right hand end of the Web Developer Toolbar addon to firefox but when i
am troubled i validate properly.

If it is an educational thing then send them from a link to an
educational page explaining the principle.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416