Re: Add Subject Here - Validation icons

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 06:27:00 +0100, Michael Adams
<linux_mike@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 04:38:43 +0200 Srdanov Ivan wrote:
>
>> I am building a website, and my HTML validates properly.
>> But I'm interested can I change the valid img into grayscale [...]
>
> Why would visitors to your site want to validate it instead of read it?
> [...]
>
> Yes you are proud of your achievement, but visitors are there for the
> content, not to validate your page. And if they do wish to validate your
> page they can do so without the silly icon. Really isn't the validator a
> developer tool, not a web surfers tool?

I think you are missing the point of displaying a valid / validation icon
on a website. It's not about showing that you know how to create valid
code, and it's not about letting people validate your pages.

It's about dedicating a small area of your page to promoting the idea of
web standards and interoperability. And if it makes even just a few people
aware of the fact that there _are_ standards, and that following them can
make websites look and fuction almost identically in different browsers,
then those people are less likely to blame websites for browser bugs or
blame browsers for poorly coded websites.

It's an educational or even political thing; it's not a technical thing.

RMN
~~~