Re: [ANN] markup validator 0.8.3 released

Frank Ellermann wrote:
> The "whatsnew" file says:
>
> | Conformance: The validator now warns about incorrect
> | public/system identifiers combinations
>
> They are not really "incorrect", or are they ?  The
> warning uses the adjective "inconsistent".  I still
> wonder how that's supposed to work:

I would have to agree with this.  The SYSTEM identifier is permitted to
change by definition.  If you look in the XHTML specs, for example, they
all say something like "There MUST be a DOCTYPE declaration in the
document prior to the root element. If present, the public identifier
included in the DOCTYPE declaration MUST reference the DTD found in ...
using its public identifier. The system identifier MAY be modified
appropriately."  I don't think having the validator warn about SYSTEM
identifiers that are different is a useful feature.  If the validator
wants to use its local cached versions of DTDs, what it should do is
check the SYSTEM identifier against its perception of correct.  If it
matches, great.  If it does not, dereference the one specified by the
document and use it.  Otherwise the validator is not doing what I (at
least) would expect.  I know that is not how an SGML catalog
traditionally is used, but in this case I think it is appropriate.  Or,
alternately, have a checkbox that means "use the DTD I specify".

And no, I don't know why I always capitalize SYSTEM.