Re: [ANN] markup validator 0.8.3 released

olivier Thereaux wrote:

> We released today a new version of the Markup Validator

Great, thanks.

> For more info on the change, see the new page:
> http://validator.w3.org/whatsnew.html#t2008-08-08

Something with the added "historical HTML i18n" isn't as
expected:

| the Document Type (-//IETF//DTD HTML i18n//EN) is not in the
| validator's catalog

Did you use another public identifier ?

The "whatsnew" file says:

| Conformance: The validator now warns about incorrect
| public/system identifiers combinations

They are not really "incorrect", or are they ?  The
warning uses the adjective "inconsistent".  I still
wonder how that's supposed to work:

The validator knows some public identifiers (but not
all).  Where that is not the case the validator uses
the system identifier to find the DTD.

Users are in the same position wrt to their own local
tools, and their set of "known" public identifiers is
different from what the validator knows.

Shouldn't they be able to use system identifiers that
make sense from their local POV ?  I vaguely recall
that some system identifiers for W3C DTDs used to be
relative URLs.  IIRC that was the reason why I used
absolute URLs making sense from my POV, URL's in the
validator's catalog...  Which are not the "official"
system identifiers.

 Frank