Re: Validator complains because it cannot determine validation mode from document type

Le 6 avr. 2007 à 00:27, Shane McCarron a écrit :
> is being served as text/html and it cannot decide how to parse it.
[...]
> document starts off with an "xml" declaration, e.g., <?xml ... ?>,
> then the validator should assume that the document is to be
> validated in XML mode.

huh? That would be content sniffing and against Web architecture.
The mime type has priority and for good reasons.

Imagine you want to serve the source code of this document sending it
then as text/plain.  With the above reasoning, it would mean that we
do not respect the intent of the author.

If you send it as text/html, it is HTML
If you send it as application/xhtml+xml it is xml

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***