Re: Error in check on line 703??? using Mac OS X

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 20:39 -0500, Donny Viszneki wrote:
> Using Mac OS X 10.3.7, I installed all the necessary dependencies and
> configured apache appropriately. It was all pretty straightforward,
> although quite lengthy for the simple purpose of validating HTML
> locally. I had to work through a couple of snags, those were mostly
> dependencies of dependencies.
>
> As mentioned in your install doc (at
> http://validator.w3.org/docs/install.html) "Help us improve this
> installation guide by sending us your feedback  if you install the
> validator on your local system!" Well, here are some of those
> dependencies of dependencies I had to hunt down:
[...]

Also mentioned in that install doc:

  One easy - and strongly recommended - way to take care of all these
  Perl module dependencies is to install Bundle-W3C-Validator from
  CPAN.  See the documentation included with it for more details.

...with links to:

  http://search.cpan.org/dist/Bundle-W3C-Validator/
  http://search.cpan.org/dist/Bundle-W3C-Validator/lib/Bundle/W3C/Validator.pm

...where the latter contains a magic command line for installing all the
required modules:

  perl -MCPAN -e "install Bundle::W3C::Validator"

Providing a complete list of nested dependencies of the required Perl
modules would be a time consuming and almost impossible job due to the
variety of possible configurations out there.  The dependencies change,
depend on your Perl version, and there are tools to take care of them
automatically for you, such as the CPAN command above.

> Now I'd like to ask for help. When I access the following URL, I get
> the following results:

> Result: Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at
> /opt/local/share/w3c-markup-validator/check line 703.

Which version of the validator did you install?

> In case it is relevant, I don't believe OpenSP is working. I believe
> OpenSP has some dependencies which I don't know about. Here is a list
> of what are most likely missing functions:
>
> ~$ onsgmls
> dyld: onsgmls Undefined symbols:
> __ZTVN10__cxxabiv117__class_type_infoE
> __ZTVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE
> __ZTVN10__cxxabiv121__vmi_class_type_infoE
> __ZTVSt9bad_alloc
> ___cxa_pure_virtual
> ___gxx_personality_v0
> Trace/BPT trap

That's most definitely a broken onsgmls.

> If anyone on this list can confirm for me that this is an issue that I
> should send to OpenJade, please let me know, and I will do so. Once I
> do that, I will send a full list of Mac OS X install instruction for
> your validator so that you can provide them to Mac OS X users.

I guess it would not hurt to send this information to the OpenSP folks,
especially if you built it from source yourself.  But FWIW, and without
knowing much about OS X, pre-packaged OpenSP for OS X seem to be
available from eg.
http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/opensp4
http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/ports/?by=name&substr=opensp