Re: Error in check on line 703??? using Mac OS X

On Jan 10, 2005, at 10:31 AM, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 09:10 -0500, Donny Viszneki wrote:
>> On Jan 9, 2005, at 10:34 AM, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>
> Hi Donny,
>
> please keep the www-validator mailing list Cc'd in all future replies
> messages on public mailing lists.  Others may be interested in the
> discussions, and there are usually not enough resources to support
> individuals without a specific arrangement.

Will do. I'm just used to another mailing list where the reply-to
address is changed to the address of the mailing list.

>>> Providing a complete list of nested dependencies of the required Perl
>>> modules would be a time consuming and almost impossible job due to
>>> the
>>> variety of possible configurations out there.  The dependencies
>>> change,
>>> depend on your Perl version, and there are tools to take care of them
>>> automatically for you, such as the CPAN command above.
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't realize it used so many different technologies. Or is
>> it just the nature of perl to highly fragment modules?
>
> Sort of, but I would not use the word "fragment", it has a bit negative
> sound in it to me (non-native English speaker).  Highly decoupled or
> modularized module distributions could sound better :)

It does to me to. I hesitated over the prospect of rewriting that
statement for a moment before deciding it wasn't real important.

>>  Does CPA offer
>> other bundles like this one (for other software?)
>
> CPAN, you mean?  Yes, for some.  Click the "Bundles (and SDKs)" link at
> http://search.cpan.org/ or search for "Bundle" there.
>
>>> Which version of the validator did you install?
>>
>> D'oh! I can't believe I forgot to mention, this is the CVS version of
>> the validator!
>
> Unless you want to help hacking a bleeding edge copy (and almost
> guaranteedly unstable at this point) of the Validator, don't use that.
> Use a released build from http://validator.w3.org/source/
>
> See also the notices at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/

Yeah I assumed as much. But somehow I made the dumb decision to get it
from CVS. I don't know what came over me.

>> The onsgmls program is now functioning correctly, but I still get the
>> error I described.
>
> Try a release version of the Validator first; if that doesn't work,
> report back to the www-validator mailing list.  (Oh, and in case you're
> running the validator with mod_perl in Apache, try without mod_perl
> too).

It's not running in mod_perl at the moment, and I will take your advice
and get the release version of the validator. However, unless the CVS
version is currently known to be broken on most/all systems, wouldn't
you be curious as to what's going wrong? Does perl have a simple "core
dump" type of functionality so that you guys can get an idea what's
going wrong? I'd like to help in that way of possible. Actually I'd
like to help a lot, but I don't really have the time, I've taken on too
much work as it is.

> HTH,
> Ville

Thanks for your help.