Re: The IFRAME tag

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 13:24, Beech Horn wrote:
> On a recent project our team has decided to use a strict HTML 4.01
> DOCTYPE which is working well using your validation service and
> testing in browsers both old and new.

> Our design requires the use of IFRAMEs

Unlikely

>  and I note that the validation service does not allow the use of
> IFRAMEs.

Not true. The DTD you chose to use does not include iframes.

> Please could you tell me if there is an equivalent tag to IFRAME

Equivalent in what way? <object> perhaps? The CSS overflow property
perhaps?

> , if it is a bug in your validator or whether another DOCTYPE is
> required? I tried using the frameset DOCTYPE to no avail as it
> dislikes the body tag…

That's because it is for frameset documents.

    This is the HTML 4.01 Frameset DTD, which should be
    used for documents with frames. This DTD is identical
    to the HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD except for the
    content model of the "HTML" element: in frameset
    documents, the "FRAMESET" element replaces the "BODY"
    element.

     - http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd

It is the Transitional DTD that includes iframes.

> I am sorry if this is an easy question; I have no real prior knowledge
> of DOCTYPING and would like to make my code 100% compliant as we are
> considering the use of mobile internet devices.

For future reference, this type of question is off topic for the
www-validator mailing list. You might try the
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html newsgroup instead.

<news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html >
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html>

--