Tangent: validation in Opera

In my opinion, what is needed is for the validator to return an
application-readable version of its output, perhaps in EARL [1] or
something like it.  This would allow your problem (1) to be solved,
as you could parse and interpret the validator's output, and either
resend with your own doctype selected or generate your own
prompt. It will also allow Opera to create its own way of presenting
the validator's output which could make more sense in context.

Your problem (2) is a separate discussion and this post doesn't
address it

[1] EARL: http://www.w3.org/TR/EARL10/

--Kynn