Re: Licence of validation icons?

Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> wrote:

>One thing, however, that is still vague, is the "claim" issue. The
>trademark policy has something about claims, but it doesn't really cover
>conformance claims, which the "valid foo" icons basically are.
>Conformance claims for documents are even more complicated than for e.g
>software implementations, as the claim may be valid when made, and "slip
>out" when the document changes.
>
>There may be technical solutions (like serving different icons depending
>on actual validity), but the social (legal?) questions remain. We
>(validator) could try and imitate what WAI has done at:
>http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG1-Conformance

Well, if it becomes an issue we can always generate a cryptographical
checksum (a SHA-1 hash ought to do) of the page we validated and include
that as part of the result. Dunno that I'd bother though... :-)

--
Now Playing "Work Song" by "Nina Simone"",
 from the album "Feeling Good - The Very Best Of".