RE: Validation issues

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Clark Alexander wrote:

> Ookey, fine. I guess you guys would know, thanks. I think I'll just
> adopt Karl's slogan and tell my students to "Be Strict To Be Cool." Or
> be semantically correct to get an A. Hmm, has less of a ring to it. :)

But what was it in your example

This is some text
And so is this <br />

that you expected to be reported as invalid?

The "loose" text (text not included into any container element) is
allowed in the Transitional version; it's one of the differences between
Transitional and Strict that are not directly related to presentational
elements and attributes but to an old principle of using container
elements for all text.

And <p></p> is an element with an empty string as content, and allowed by
the formal syntax, though frowned upon in the prose of specifications.
There's actually no way to disallow such a situation in the formal
syntax, if an element is allowed to contain character data directly.

The <br /> construct is an XHTML form of <br>, course, and allowed
directly as a constituent of a body element - in the Transitional version.