Re: Public beta test of the W3C Markup Validator

Hello Chris,

Many thanks for your bug report and follow up.

At 16:39 02/10/24 +0200, Chris Lilley wrote:

> >> Possibly. I would rather know more about what headers are currently
> >> send in a file upload before arguing either for or against special
> >> rules.
>
>VS> I'm inclined to say yes for special rules (if those can be made); after
>VS> all, the purpose of the validator is to validate the submitted file, not
>VS> test the browser used for submitting it.

I agree. The current message is confusing for somebody using
file upload. There is probably a better way to explain what
happens.

>Of course, the (in)sanity of
>VS> the browser may affect the validation to some extent, and a notice about
>VS> this would be nice.
>
>OK, true.

Yes. Maybe we should try in general to give a bit different
messages for uploaded files, in particular if somebody
uses the overrides.

>Further testing (thanks, Terje!) has revealed that:
>
>Mozilla sends the correct MIME type of image/svg+xml when uploading an
>SVG file

Just to be sure, can you confirm that the file then validated
correctly?

>MS IE 6 sends an incorrect, sniffed MIME type of text/xml when
>uploading the same file presumably because it sees the xml declaration.
>I have not tried the exhaustive tests (removal of xml declaration,
>inclusion of the string '<html' or ',HTML' in the first 256 bytes,
>perhaps inside a comment) etc to try and describe the sniffing
>algorithm correctly.

The error message you got should only appear for text/xml and
the text/foo+xml types, not for text/html.

>One workaround would be to look at the filename of the uploaded file
>and then treat this as the validator server would treat such a named
>file if it were serving it ....

I would be willing to close an eye or two for stuff sent in,
and e.g. for file upload ignore the strong us-ascii default or
so (which as far as I understand would mean that even with text/xml,
the file would then be validated using the DTD it gives,...), but
I'd rather not go into the business of sniffing on the server side.

Regards,    Martin.