Re: Public beta test of the W3C Markup Validator

On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, 6:42:10 PM, Ville wrote:

VS> On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 16:46, Chris Lilley wrote:

>> TB> However, it may be that the weak support for file uploads in current
>> TB> browsers justifies special rules for files submitted via file upload.
>>
>> Possibly. I would rather know more about what headers are currently
>> send in a file upload before arguing either for or against special
>> rules.

VS> I'm inclined to say yes for special rules (if those can be made); after
VS> all, the purpose of the validator is to validate the submitted file, not
VS> test the browser used for submitting it.  Of course, the (in)sanity of
VS> the browser may affect the validation to some extent, and a notice about
VS> this would be nice.

OK, true.

Further testing (thanks, Terje!) has revealed that:

Mozilla sends the correct MIME type of image/svg+xml when uploading an
SVG file

MS IE 6 sends an incorrect, sniffed MIME type of text/xml when
uploading the same file presumably because it sees the xml declaration.
I have not tried the exhaustive tests (removal of xml declaration,
inclusion of the string '<html' or ',HTML' in the first 256 bytes,
perhaps inside a comment) etc to try and describe the sniffing
algorithm correctly.

One workaround would be to look at the filename of the uploaded file
and then treat this as the validator server would treat such a named
file if it were serving it ....