Re: The beta validator

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 00:10, Nick Kew wrote:

> > I need to dig some more to find out whether this is actually a bug in
> > OpenSP.
>
> I was thinking along similar lines.  It looks like a possible
> failure of -wxml to apply different XML rules (or have we just
> assumed XML rules don't allow bare ampersand)?
>
> Of course, the bare ampersand is valid in SGML, which is OpenSP's
> native mode.

Hmm, the XML spec [1] is pretty clear about this:

    The ampersand character (&) and the left angle bracket (<) may
    appear in their literal form only when used as markup delimiters, or
    within a comment, a processing instruction, or a CDATA section. If
    they are needed elsewhere, they must be escaped using either numeric
    character references or the strings "&amp;" and "&lt;" respectively.

...and the XHTML 1.0 (Strict) DTD contains these (unrelated stuff
snipped):

    <!ELEMENT pre %pre.content;>
    <!ENTITY % pre.content "(#PCDATA | ...">

Does #PCDATA (mean|imply) "CDATA section"?

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#syntax>

--
\/ille Skyttä
ville.skytta at iki.fi