Re: Beta [RFE]: the validator should take into account Mime-type discrepancies

* Bertilo Wennergren wrote:
>Dominique Hazaël-Massieux:
>
>> The current Beta validator doesn't signal as fault a mime-type
>> discrepancy such as the one for http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/. Namely,
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/ is served as text/html while it's using
>> XHTML 1.1 which is not compatible with text/html, but the validator
>> doesn't complain at all:
>> http://validator.w3.org:8001/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2Fxhtml11%2F
>
>> I think a warning or better an error would be in order.
>
>Actually what is needed the most are clear and definite rules about
>media types for XHTML (1.0 and 1.1). As yet no such rules have been
>issued by W3C or anyone else.
>
>The only thing we have is the document "XHTML Media Types",
><http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/>, but that is just a W3C Note,
>and it explicitly says: "this document is not intended to be a normative
>specification". It also says: "Publication of this Note by W3C indicates
>no endorsement by W3C or the W3C Team, or any W3C Members."

If you do not take the above document into account, you are not allowed
to use text/html for XHTML 1.1, it is thus forbidden and an error to use
text/html for XHTML 1.1. If this situation should be changed, RFC 2854
must be updated.