Please include both override features in the upload form (Re: Upload file... no character encoding offered ?)

Hello, and thanks for the quick anwser.

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Bob Rosenberg wrote:
> Why not just put the following tag into your page's Head section? It
> will supply the Charset. Note that the Box you are looking for is to
> OVERRIDE the tag (or supply the info in the absance of the tag):

> >I can't find any reason for this absence.
> >Is this deliberate ?
>
> See above.

Oh, I see. I should have been more explicit. I know that I can modify
the html file. The real reason why I uploaded this html file is to check
a page from a secure site (https), and validator doesn't deal with https
(It's ok, it doesn't have to).

So, I downloaded the page from https, then uploaded it to validator.

What I mean: of course, "Document type" and "Character encoding" in the
validator form are "override" features, but if they are offered for the
web, they should both be offered also for file upload.

Why is "Document type" offered when one chooses the file upload feature,
and not "Document encoding" ? Both of the informations can be present in
the html source.

If one of them could be removed from the form, it would be the "Document
type", not the "Character encoding". Because the web server may tell (in
the http header) the character encoding, it is ok if it is not in the
file.

The right thing, im my humble opinion, is to offer both of them in the
"file upload" form.

If you disagree, please put some light on me :-)

As for the second part of my first message, is it a bug, the fact that I
can't revalidate an uploaded file ? It looks like it is.

> >Moreover, if I try to revalidate it, i'm back to the root page
> >(http://validator.w3.org/).
> >
> >I tested with (all on Linux 2.4.8) galeon-0.12.1 opera-5.0 links-0.96
> >... same behavior exactly.
> >
> >Thank you for this great service, anyway. I wish everybody respects
> >standards... If they had an idea of the benefits, many would.

Thanks again for the validator service!

--
Stéphane Gourichon - Labo. d'Informatique de Paris 6 - AnimatLab
http://animatlab.lip6.fr - philo du dimanche http://amphi-gouri.org/