Re: Macintosh charset blowing up?

At 00:22 02/01/05 +0000, Nick Kew wrote:

>In news:040120022151192238%andreas.prilop@altavista.net,
>Andreas Prilop reports an apparent problem:
>
> > The W3C validator somehow "swallows" characters 246 and 247
> > in Macintosh encoding:
> >
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/test.htm>
> > <http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/test.htm>
>

>On investigation, I find that iconv to macintosh to utf-8 runs
>apparently successfully,

I just did wget and iconv on the validator.w3.org machine.
iconv -f MACINTOSH -t UTF-8 <test.htm produced the null bytes.
It is clearly a bug in iconv.

For iconv --version, I get:

iconv (GNU libc) 2.1.3
Written by Ulrich Drepper.

Gerald, I suggest we upgrade to the newest version of iconv
and then see whether the problems are gone.

Regards,    Martin.