Re: Used modularization to restore the use of TARGET=

Peter Sheerin <pete@petesguide.com> wrote:

>>><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//PetesGuide//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus Target//EN"
>>>  "http://www.PetesGuide.com/DTDs/XHTML11target.dtd">
>>
>>[...] you might want to use the FPI
>>      "+//IDN PetesGuide.com//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus Target//EN"
>>(cf. ISO-8879:1986, TC2, Annex K.4.6[0]).
>
>Terje, are you sure? That document seems to talk about SGML rules, not
>XML. Therefore, I surmise that your statement would be unambiguously
>correct if I were making my own HTML DTD. But for XHTML, I found this
>reference:
>
>http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/conformance.html
>#s_conform_naming_rules
>
>Which says (among other things):
>  The leading field must be "-" to indicate a privately defined resource.
>Does that take precedence for XHTML DTDs, or must I still follow the ISO
>document you referenced?

1) I think I'm mostly going to punt on this in the hopes that Mimasa will
   tackle it; otherwise I'm apt to just say something nasty about XHTML,
   XML, and the W3C relationship with SGML. :-)

2) That passage may not mean what you think it means. It's not at all
   unlikely that the author of that particular piece of the spec was
   under the misapprehension that only entities/organizations recognized
   by ISO/IEC and JTC1 as "standards organizations" (which the W3C _isn't_
   AFAIK!) were allowed to claim status as "owner identifier"[80].

   Particularly as Annex K -- aka. TC2/3, aka. WebSGML Adaptations --
   were not that well known when XML started it's life, and I still see
   it referenced only rarely. Another example of this, uhm, "unfortunate"
   situation is the lack of acknowledgement of the existance of K.3 of
   WebSGML; opting instead to imply the SGML Declaration for all markup
   vocabularies predating XML, and disowning any relationship with SGML
   in all defined since.

[80] owner identifier =
       ISO owner identifier |
       registered owner identifier |
       unregistered owner identifier |
       internet domain name owner identifier

[83.1] internet domain name owner identifier =
         "+//IDN ", minimum data

where the minimum data must begin with an Internet domain name.