Re: w3c and apache team

scripsit Bjoern Hoehrmann:

> * Liam Quinn wrote:
> >I don't think it makes sense for the Validator to check unsuccessful
> >404 error page, you can use the file upload form.
>
> I disagree and actually I have requested this feature some time ago, see
> http://www.w3.org/2002/02/mid/89jn1uk63k59dsvan57sn7nb2i6cf91aip@4ax.com
>
> Using the file upload form is in general possible, but rather
> uncomfortable, if a simple switch could enable such feature in the
> validator. Consider e.g. dynamically generated error messages.

FWIW, I would have to agree with Björn on this from an end-user
perspective.  _Normally_ I would want a validator simply to return an
error if it gets a 404, but a switch (like the DOCTYPE and charset
overrides) to validate 403/404/whatever error pages would be quite
useful.  What would be problematic would be validating the 404 page by
default, as it could be confusing to get the ``No errors found!'' result
when I've miskeyed a URL.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul