Re: checksum error on validator.tar.gz, SUN

On 06.05.01 at 14:18, David Theilen <dtheilen@kcp.com> wrote:

>Just some information
>
>I have downloaded a copy of validator.tar.gz Friday and Sunday from
>http://validator.w3.org/source/
>
>On a Sun Sparc Solaris 2.6 system I do:
>    gunzip validator.tar.gz
>    tar -xvf validator.tar
>
>and get a checkum error on file
>../validator/htdocs/sgml-lib/pro/usr/local/lib/sgml/iso_8879-1986/entities/general_technical
>or the one after.
>

>On a PC with RedHat 6.2 it works ok.

What does "tar --version" say? I suspect it's incompatibility between SUN
tar and GNU tar (it's been reported before), but I haven't had time to look
into it yet. If you have cvs installed you can get the sources from the
repository, or you can just copy the files from your Red Hat box. I'll try
to figure out what's going on and fix it when I have time.

Thanks for catching this!

BTW, you may want to install GNU tar in any case. Life is sooo much simpler
with GNU utils. :-)