Re: Validator for Windows NT/2000 System

[ Sorry, I'm a bit behind on reading w-v mail ]

On 01.07.01 at 13:19, aborka <aborka@compuserve.com> wrote:

>I've downloaded the 3.25 HTML parser, but can not make it work. I guess I
>need a specific make.exe or something, I don't know.
>Can anyone give a hint?

You'll need to get a working HTML::Parser 3.25; I would reccomend using
ActiveState's excellent PPM tool and see if you can find a precompiled
version that way. Building modules from scratch on Windows is not an easy
proposition (usually).

OTOH, the reason there is a dependancy on version 3.25 is a performance
optimization that isn't really necessary. Find the two lines:

1569:   $p->ignore_elements('BODY');
1570:   $p->ignore_elements('body');

and delete them. Then, on line 28, change:

  use HTML::Parser 3.25; # Need 3.25 for $p->ignore_elements.

into:

  use HTML::Parser;

(be carefull that you don't leave off the semi-colon!)

This should let you use the check script with any version of HTML::Parser
newer then 3.0. I don't think there are any hidden gotchas with this
workaround, but I haven't tested it so use at your own risk. You may get
crazy results for some documents.