Re: Unix --> NT (source code stuff)

Brian Gilkison wrote:
>(anyone like to take a crack at a PHP validator? ;) )

Shouldn't be a problem. :-)

>My request for a binary was not for the entire validator, but rather for a
>WIN32 binary of lq-nsgmls to replace James Clark's nsgmls.exe for Windows,
>since that appears to be the route the W3C Validator will be taking.

Well, after nagging on a certain absentminded Evil Genious[tm] for a year
or so, he finally applied Liam's fix to nsgmls. Now I'm about to start
bugging him to switch to OpenSP <URL:http://openjade.sourceforge.net/>
which 1) is actively (for some definitions of "active") developed 2) as of
a few days ago contains Liam's HTTP fixes and 3) can give error _numbers_
instead of freeform text messages so it's a lot easier to add custom
"friendly" error messages at the Perl level.

No idea what Gerald will say about it, or when it might come to pass if he
goes for it, but it'll wait at least until OpenSP 1.5 is out (in beta 3
ATM). However, Windows binaries will apparently be available so it
shouldn't be a big problem.

>Since Cygwin was mentioned, can you recommend a minimum configuration
>(tools, compiler, etc.) I'd need to get a binary out of Liam's code?

Basic Cygwin install should contain anything you need. You'll need glibc,
includes, gcc, g++, libstdc++ and a few other utils. You may have to tweak
the environment a bit before getting it working though (but once set up,
everything should "just work" from there on), so if you can get binaries
and don't need Cygwin for anything else you may want to pass on it. OTOH,
once you've gotten used to having the full power of the GNU utilities
available on Windows you'll *never* go back to plain old "CMD.EXE" again.
Trust me; I've been there! :-)