Re: OK to display W3C logo based on 3'rd party validator?

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 12:19:18AM -0400, Uriel Wittenberg wrote:
> Kynn Bartlett wrote:
> > At 05:45 p.m. 09/21/99 -0400, Uriel Wittenberg wrote:
> > >Liam Quinn insists I am entitled to display the W3C "valid
> > >HTML" logo based on validation at http://www.htmlhelp.com.
> > >Is this true?
> >
> > Well, is it valid HTML?  If so, then it shouldn't really
> > matter, should it?
>
> You mean, if I know it's valid I can display the W3C logo
> without bothering with the validators?

Sure. The validator's current output for a valid page says
"you may display this icon on any page that validates."
(to be more precise, it should probably end with
"...as this level of HTML.")

If you use some other validation process (like another site that
does true SGML validation, an HTML compliant editor, or some
other SGML tool), I don't see why you can't display the W3C
icons, since you can be fairly sure that W3C's validator will
just tell you the same thing.

Personally, I use nsgmls with a shell script to validate stuff
I write by hand before publishing it, and I only occasionally
verify it afterwards with the online validation service.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny       <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920
System Administrator   http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/