Re: What is "validation"?

Your question is awkward, because the correct answer involves contradicting the
angry Kynn.

I am willing to do this, though, rather than leave the question unanswered.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.3.1 notes that "--" is
used in DTD's to delimit comments. So, indeed, the only occurrence of "!DOCTYPE"
in the DTD you mention is within a comment.

The question remains: what does the validator validate, beyond adherence to the
DTD?

--
http://www.urielw.com/