Re: What is "validation"?

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Uriel Wittenberg wrote:
>Brian Gilkison wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with Kynn -- take a look at the actual
>> DTD for Transitional, for example, at
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd, and you'll see the the !DOCTYPE
>> definition IN the DTD (line 24?)...
>
>The only "!DOCTYPE" found in a search of that DTD is part of a comment.

Can anyone else enlighten me on this issue?  When I look at the DTD
publsihed at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd, I see an extensive
comment at the start of the DTD (opens with "This is the HTML 4.0
Transitional DTD, which includes..." and ends with "Further information
about HTML 4.0 is available at: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40".

The comment is closed with "-->"; I then see an entry which I would
interpret as the !DOCTYPE definition in the DTD itself:

<!ENTITY % HTML.Version "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"

True, there is an extensive comment included as part of that <!ENTITY
statement, but the entity itself is not commented... (?)

I'm sorry if this is seen as dragging an issue out, but I'm truly trying
to understand how the DTD works at this point...

Brian