Re: Rationale for the warning "Same colors for color and background-color in two contexts"?

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> What is the rationale for issuing the warning "Same colors for color and background-color in two contexts"? It seems that the warning is always issued, with default settings, when one rule assigns the same value to background-color as one rule assigns to color, e.g.

> a { color: black; }
> b { background: black; }

Well.  Isn't it simply the case that we are discussing
CSS, rather than CSS embedded in HTML, and therefore
the CSS validator can have no knowledge as to whether
an <a> element will be embedded in a <b> element, and
therefore seeks to warn the user that such a usage
would be ill-advised ?

 http://web-consultants.org.uk/sites/tests/colour-test.html

However, I should report that that page, when validated,
does /not/ throw up the warning that you report, at least
by default :

 http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fweb-consultants.org.uk%2Fsites%2Ftests%2Fcolour-test.html

Philip Taylor