Re: Don't put descriptive info in a URI, only identifying info

Dan-

Understood.  Your point is important and very reasonable.  As we proceed on
the URI design(s), we should definitely adhere to this rule.  The time we
are referring to is not authoring time, but broadcast time, which in
general is a very transient property.

There is no analogy using standard http servers except in the multicast
model.  Is there relevant work that you know of in multicast proxy/server
designs that might apply here?

Thanks,
	Mike

At 01:12 PM 12/21/98 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
>I don't mean to argue against time specifiers in URIs.
>
>Perhaps I just misread the sense of "OPTIONAL."
>If you mean optional in the syntax (sometimes it appears,
>sometimes it doesn't) then I have no problem. But
>if it's optional in the sense that even when it
>appears, you don't need it
>to identify the referent, then I object.
>
>Michael A. Dolan wrote:
>>
>>   For example, without time as a
>> specifier, how would one uniquely reference a broadcast program that starts
>> at 12:00pm, as opposed to one that starts before or after this time on the
>> otherwise same stream?  There is no discrete object - just a stream where
>> time is a critical identifier component.
>
>If "time is a critical identifier component" then very well,
>include it in the URI ala:

>Warner writes:
>
>|Do I understand you correctly, that the first example URL
>|is wrong and the second example is right ?
>
>No; there's a "right" URI in each case; in the 1st case,
>the URI doesn't contain title=ABC; in the 2nd case,
>the URI does contain year=1996.

>> >[1] TV Broadcast URI Schemes Requirements
>> >http://www.w3.org/TV/TVWeb/TVWeb-URI-Requirements-19981126.html
>
>> >[2] Re: Attributes should only be there if part of the name/address
>> >space
>> >http://www.acl.lanl.gov/URI/archive/uri-96.messages/0232.html
>> >
>> >[3]
>> >Title           : Guidelines for new URL Schemes
>> >ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urlreg-guide-04.txt
>
>--
>Dan Connolly
>http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/

Michael A. Dolan  TerraByte Technology  (619)445-9070    FAX: (619)445-6122
PO Box 1673 Alpine, CA 91903, Overnight: 20239 Japatul Rd, Alpine, CA 91901
URL:http://www.tbt.com