Re: Is there any ongoing work on HTTP?

"Maurice Smulders" <msmulders@novell.com> writes:

> Nic,
>
> So, what would be a way to make sure the charset of the post data is a
> certain format. When I look with Live Http Headers on my firefox
> browser, it includes
>
> Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8; q=0.7; q=0.7
>
> But if this is a 'recommendation' for the server, it does not tell
> anything about the charset used by the actual post data.
> Is there a way in the protocol to find that out, or a way to force the
> browser to respond in a certain charset?

No. There is no way to force it.

There literally isn't anyway to force it. Applications not written by
you are beyond your control are they not?

HTTP models that real world problem by defining syntax for expressing
requests about media types and charsets.

But the guiding principle of HTTP is be conservative in what you send
be liberal in what you accept.

So a accept that a server may ignore your request. It might also
refuse your request returning status 406.

So, no. There's no way to force a server to do what you want.

Nic