Re: [www-talk] Unicode Characters

fischer@ludwin.net wrote:
> One: Who creates these symbols? Who decides?

The Unicode consortium decides which characters to include in Unicode.
The actual glyphs (or symbols) come with various fonts.  See the Unicode
code charts for a list of all the characters.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/

http://www.unicode.org/pending/proposals.html

> Three: is it possible to get and download the latest symbols and to
> install them on your computer, as if there where fonts?

There are many fonts available, each of which may contain any number of
the Unicode characters.  "Arial Unicode" is one example of a font that
is common on Windows machines that contains quite a lot of characters,
and it probably contains all of the characters you mentioned.

http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html

> Four: I saw that the numbers 1 to 65335 ()-(W) have been
> affected to something. But what are the number for which no font has
> been created yet?

Those numbers refer to Unicode code positions, in decimal.  See
Character References Explained and part 1 of my Guide to Unicode.

http://lachy.id.au/log/2004/12/guide-to-unicode-part-1
http://lachy.id.au/log/2005/10/char-refs

--
Lachlan Hunt