RE: Problem on finding charset

www-talk-request@w3.org wrote:

> I check the source code of web page, the source codes
> have <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
> charset=gb2312"> or other charsets. so I though it should
> return "gb2312" or whatever after "charset=".

I guess the charset returned is the one set in the HTTP header
'Content-Type', and not the one set in the <meta> HTML header.
Whenever you can, remove all 'http-equiv' <meta> headers from
the HTML, and put them in HTTP instead.

'http-equiv' is a backup solution for situations where the HTTP
headers aren't reachable.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-          X-No-Archive: No
"He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away"