Re: text/html for xml extensions of XHTML

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Robert Miner wrote:

> If not, you need to give me some sign that you actually understand the
> issues at stake.  From what you write, you give the clear impression
> that you don't think either of the following issues are important:
>
> 1) For some time to come, most web authors will be preparing content
>    that will be read predominantly with older user agents, and
>    therefore need to send documents as text/html.
>
> 2) For some time to come, many web authors will end up sending XHTML
>    as text/html due to circumstances beyond their control, even if
>    they are willing to send it as text/xml.

I acknowledge those points completely. Neither of these points require any
documents sent as text/html to be handled as text/xml by any browser.

> If you do acknowledge those points, then you don't need me to point
> out why your analogy with PNGs is not very relevant.

My analogy with PNGs is merely to highlight that content type sniffing is
fundamentally flawed.

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'