Re: text/html for xml extensions of XHTML

Let's try to get some facts into this discussion.

Fire up mozilla 0.8.1 and visit the URL(s)
http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/htmltab.html and all permutations
replacing "html" with "xml". The document codifies the results. What this
test shows is:

1. Mozilla already routinely DOES snooping in the document header, notably
the DOCTYPE, that changes its rendering, when the document is served as
HTML. This fact renders Hickson's many remarks about the excessive
computational cost of snooping irrelevant (to put it charitably).

2. When Mozilla receives a document served as XML its behaviour does not
seem to depend on the DOCTYPE.

[3. Both Mozilla, when rendering a document it takes to be XML, and Amaya
have broken table renderers.]

I assume that conclusion 1 above shows that it ought to be fairly trivial
for Mozilla to implement the detection of XML documents served as HTML on
the basis of their DOCTYPE, and enable the MathML parser for them.

Ian Hutchinson.