Re: Signing Document and PICS

At 04:34 PM 4/6/01 -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>These days, it seems you've got problems to deal with running any XHTML
>document (valid or not) through a validating XML 1.0 parser. You've got even
>bigger problems running a namespace document through.

I could curse for a few hours about the state of namespaces and XML
validation, but in the interest of brevity...

>I can't say I'm an expert in validation, but I do know that RSS takes this
>approach, and we have schemas in Schematron, Examplotron, RELAX (coming
>soon), and a bunch more I can't remember. I'm sure other namespaced formats
>do this and work too.

RSS does it, but in a very limited way.  You can't monkey around with
content models, for instance.  That makes it a lot easier, but it's much
more limited than just dropping in content from other namespaces wherever
you'd like it to be.

With XHTML 1.1, that's sort of possible (you can change content models),
though not exactly easy.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML